NEW DELHI: Yoga guru Ramdev‘s Patanjali on Tuesday launched what he claimed was the “first ayurvedic medicine” to cure coronavirus disease even as the scientific community the world over struggles to develop an effective cure for the highly contagious disease.
However, the Centre has asked Patanjali to stop advertising the anti-Covid drug and has sought details about it from the company to verify the claims.
Here is what Patanjali has claimed about the medicine:
* Patanjali claimed ‘Coronil‘ and ‘Swasari’ had shown 100 per cent favourable results during clinical trials on affected patients, at Patanjali Yogpeeth in Haridwar.
* Launching the medicines in Haridwar, Ramdev claimed “100 per cent recovery rate in 7 days”. This is not an immunity booster but a coronavirus cure, Ramdev said.
* The Corona kit will be made available at Rs 545, said Acharya Balkrishna, the MD of Patanjali Ayurved. The corona kit will have medicines for 30 days.
* Patanjali claims that its corona medicine kit can also be taken as prevention for coronavirus.
* Manufactured by Haridwar-based Divya Pharmacy and Patanjali Ayurved Ltd, the medicine is the result of a research partnership between Patanjali Research Institute and the Jaipur-based National Institute of Medical Sciences.
* The drug was clinically tried on 280 Covid-19 positive persons out of which 69 per cent were cured within three days, Ramdev said at the launch of the medicine.
* Ramdev also claimed that during the trial other complications of patients were also cured and their critical parameters were normalised.
* The test has been done on all kinds of patients except those who are highly infected and are on life support systems as ventilators
* Coronil is made of the extracts of pure Giloy, Tulsi and Ashwagandha. A corona kit consists of the three medicines – Coronil, Shwasari and Anu Tel. The other two medicines to be taken along with Coronil are ‘Shwasari’ which works on strengthening the respiratory system and cures the obvious symptoms of corona including cough, cold and fever and a nasal drop named ‘Anu Tel’ which helps build immunity, the firm said.
* As for doses, Panajali prescribes: “2-2 tablets should be consumed with hot water hal-an-hour after meals. The drug intake and quantity is suitable for people between 15 to 80 years of age. Half the amount of the medicines can be used for children between the age of 6 to 14 years.” These are the written instructions on the pack.
* Ramdev said the medicines can be ordered online through a mobile app from next Monday.
* In the next few days, data of the trail will be released as evidence to bolster the claims, Patanjali said.
(With agency inputs)