TIMESOFINDIA.COM | Jul 4, 2020, 20:27 IST
NEW DELHI: With 22,771 people testing positive for the novel coronavirus in a day, the highest so far, India’s Covid-19 tally climbed to 6,48,315 on Saturday, while the death toll rose to 18,655 with 442 new fatalities, according to the Union health ministry’s data.
With a steady rise, the number of recoveries stands at 3,94,226 with 14,335 Covid-19 patients having been cured in the last 24 hours, according to the updated data.
Here are the top developments:
- The number of recovered patients exceeded the active cases by 1,58,793 as of Saturday. There are 2,35,433 active cases of Covid-19 presently in the country, the data showed.
- The Union health ministry said the recovery rate has further increased to 60.81 per cent in the country.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressing the BJP workers said that the danger of Covid-19 remains and while the festival season is set to begin, we should be aware and spread awareness about the coronavirus.
- Even as the World Health Organisation lauded the Indian government for its efforts in tackling Covid-19, the world nodal health agency said that India should also focus on data management originating from the pandemic.
- As experts cautioned against rushing the process for developing a Covid-19 vaccine after the ICMR stated it plans to launch one by August 15, the apex health research body stressed that it is acting in accordance with the globally accepted norms to fast-track vaccine development for diseases of pandemic potential.
- Union minister Jitendra Singh said the women in the northeast are taking the lead in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic and helping the region emerge as a model for Covid-19 management.
- As many as 11,300 ‘Made in India’ ventilators have been dispatched so far and 6,154 have been delivered to the hospitals, said Dr Harsh Vardhan said.
- Researchers, led by an Indian scientist, have developed a cheap, electricity-free centrifuge to separate components in patient saliva samples for the detection of the novel coronavirus, an innovation that may increase accessibility of Covid-19 diagnostics in poor regions of the world.
- According to the scientists, including Manu Prakash from Stanford University in the US, the ‘Handyfuge’ device spins tubes containing patient saliva at very high speeds, enough to separate the virus genome from other components in the sample, without needing electricity.
- West Bengal: No passenger flights will operate to Kolkata from Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Pune, Nagpur and Ahmedabad between July 6 and July 19, the Kolkata airport said as novel coronavirus cases continue to rise in the country.
- Kerala: Kerala’s Covid-19 tally breached the 5,000 mark with 240 fresh cases being reported, the highest single day surge so far. With the addition of the fresh cases, the infection count has touched 5,204.
- Delhi: Delhi recorded 2,505 fresh coronavirus cases, taking the tally in the city to over 97,000, while the death toll from the disease mounted to 3,004. Fifty-five fatalities have been recorded in the last 24 hours.
- Arunachal: The Arunachal Pradesh government announced that a week-long total lockdown will be imposed in the Capital Complex, comprising Itanagar and Naharlagun, from July 6 in view of the rising number of Covid-19 cases.
- J&K: Fresh guidelines under the “unlock 2” phase came into effect in Jammu and Kashmir with the Union territory administration deciding against opening religious places and educational institutions, but allowing hotels to operate with full capacity.
- UP: Chief minister Yogi Adityanath directed the state’s health and medical education departments to prepare a special work plan for Gautam Buddh Nagar and Ghaziabad districts in view of the growing number of coronavirus cases.
- Puducherry: The department of health has alleged that some private medical colleges were not cooperating on setting up Covid-19 Care Centres on their premises as mandated by the Centre, and has sought the intervention of the top leadership in the Union territory.
- Karnataka: With the increasing number of Covid-19 cases in Bengaluru, the state government has decided to impose a total lockdown in Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike limits.
- Tamil Nadu: For the third consecutive day, Tamil Nadu reported over 4,000 new coronavirus cases and the tally touched 1.07 lakh cases. Those dead include 59 with co-morbidities and six with none.
- Assam: The Assam government has allowed certain relaxations during the ongoing lockdown in Kamrup (Metro) district, under which Guwahati city falls, from July five to 12, chief secretary Kumar Sanjay Krishna said.
- Rajasthan: Rajasthan has ramped up capacity to test over 41,000 samples per day for the novel coronavirus, health minister Raghu Sharma said. He said the state will soon test 50,000 samples per day.
- Telangana: More than 6,000 Covid-19 patients are presently being treated in home isolation in Telangana and the state government is ramping up testing and thefacilities to deal with the pandemic, a senior health official said.
- Uttarakhand: Chief minister Trivendra Singh Rawat expressed satisfaction at the drop in the number of active Covid-19 cases in the state but underlined the need for constant vigil and caution in the fight against the pandemic while reviewing the coronavirus situation in the state.
- Mizoram: Two Border Security Force jawans posted in Mizoram’s Lunglei district have tested positive for Covid-19, taking the northeast state’s tally to 164.
- Meghalaya: Seven more persons have tested positive for Covid-19 in Meghalaya, raising the number of active cases in the state to 25. Of the seven, three are BSF personnel.
- Odisha: The Odisha government announced a ban on “Kanwar Yatra” by devotees of Lord Shiva during Shravan month this year, amid the rising number of novel coronavirus cases in the state.
- Andhra: Andhra Pradesh reported 765 new Covid-19 cases, taking the overall tally of infections in the state to 17,699, the government said. The state also saw 12 coronavirus-related deaths, taking the toll to 218.
- HP: A 70-year-old woman succumbed to Covid-19 at a hospital in Himachal Pradesh’s Mandi district, taking the toll due to the disease in the hill state to 10.
- Gujarat: Considering the recent rise in Covid-19 cases in Surat, chief minister Vijay Rupani said 200 ventilators will be made available in the city and Rs 100 crore will be allocated to convert two hospitals into Covid-19 facilities.
- Goa: Health minister Vishwajit Rane said the state will have a plasma bank to treat Covid-19 patients. He said Goa Medical College and Hospital already has the facilities required to operate such a bank.
- Bihar: The Bihar government has decided to impose a fine of Rs 50 on people found not wearing face masks at offices and public places.
- MP: In view of the Covid-19 situation in Madhya Pradesh, the state government has said that inter- state bus services will remain suspended until further orders, an official said.
- Amid global concerns that China delayed giving information regarding the novel coronavirus outbreak, a team of World Health Organisation will visit the country next week to investigate the origins of the virus and its spread to human beings.
- The novel coronavirus has killed at least 526,663 people since the outbreak emerged in China last December. At least 11,103,630 cases of coronavirus have been registered in 196 countries and territories.
- The United States is the worst-hit country with 129,437 deaths from 2,795,163 cases. At least 790,404 people have been declared recovered.
- Bangladesh has reported 3, 288 fresh Covid-19 cases, taking the total number of infections in the country to 1,59,679, while nearly 2,000 people have succumbed to the novel coronavirus.
- Nepal confirmed two more deaths due to Covid-19, taking the country’s death toll to 34, while the number of infections soared to 15,491. The country reported 232 new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours.
- Authorities in northeastern Spain ordered the lockdown of a county around the city of Lleida due to worrying outbreaks of the Covid-19 virus. Catalan regional authorities announced that as of noon local time movement will be restricted to and from El Segriá, around Lleida, which is home to over 200,000 people.
- Two Singaporeans and a permanent resident, who returned from India, have tested positive for Covid-19 in Singapore, the ministry of health has said, as the country’s total infections rose to 44,664.
- Pakistan reported 3,387 new coronavirus cases and 68 deaths during the last 24 hours, taking the total number of cases in the country to 225,283 and the death toll to 4,619.
- Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro approved a law requiring masks on streets and in public transportation to help prevent coronavirus infections. However, he vetoed clauses requiring masks in churches, schools, shops and factories.
more from times of india news