TIMESOFINDIA.COM | Updated: Jun 29, 2020, 20:26 IST
NEW DELHI: A single-day spike of 19,459 Covid-19 cases took India’s tally to 5,48,318 on Monday, while the death toll climbed to 16,475 with 380 new fatalities, according to the Union health ministry data.
This is the sixth consecutive day that coronavirus infections have increased by more than 15,000. The country has seen a surge of 3,57,783 infections from June 1 till date.
Here are the top developments:
- The number of active cases stands at 2,10,120, while 3,21,722 people have recovered, and one patient has migrated, according to the data.
- The gap between recoveries and active cases is 1,11,602 as of Monday, with the recovery rate now at 58.67 per cent, the health ministry said. A total of 12,010 Covid-19 patients have been cured since Sunday.
- According to the Indian Council of Medical Research, a cumulative total of 83,98,362 samples have been tested up to June 28, with 1,70,560 samples tested on Sunday. India now has 1,047 diagnostic labs dedicated to Covid-19, including 760 in the government sector and 287 private labs.
- Partially relaxing export norms, the government permitted shipments of Personal Protection Equipment medical coveralls for Covid-19 with a monthly export quota of 50 lakh units.
- There is no demand for Shramik Special trains from any state now, the Railways said on Monday, but offered to run more if states request for them. At a press conference, railway spokespersons said no Shramik Special ran on Sunday and none is scheduled for Tuesday either.
- India is to use an innovative antiseptic disinfectant, which was originally developed for the Israeli Defence Forces to deal with biological warfare, to protect its public places in its fight against the highly contagious coronavirus, a media report said. The solution developed by the Israel Institute for Biological Research is at the forefront of efforts to develop a vaccine against the Coronavirus pandemic and is distributed by an Israeli company Tera Novell.
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology, Gandhinagar have developed an artificial intelligence-based deep learning tool for detection of Covid-19 from chest X-ray images.
- The online tool, which indicates the probability if a person is infected with Covid-19, can be used for quick preliminary diagnosis before the medical test. It is being tested by the Indian Institute of Public Health.
- Maharashtra: The Maharashtra government extended the coronavirus-triggered lockdown till July 31 without providing any further relaxations amid mounting cases of Covid-19 in the state.
- Nagaland: The Nagaland government extended the lockdown in the state till July 15 to contain the spread of the Covid-19 pandemic. Meanwhile, 19 people, including 18 Army personnel tested positive for Covid-19 in Nagaland, taking the state’s tally to 434.
- Tamil Nadu: The state government has extended the lockdown till July 31. Tamil Nadu reported nearly 4,000 fresh coronavirus cases and the tally crossed 86,000 while 62 more deaths brought the toll to 1,141.
- Delhi: Chief minister Arvind Kejriwal announced setting up of a ‘plasma bank’ for treatment of Covid-19 patients in the national capital, and said it will start operating in the next two days.
- Ladakh: Thirty coronavirus infected patients were discharged after they were declared cured in Ladakh, bringing down the number of active cases in the Union territory to 347.
- Odisha: The Odisha government received the first consignment of Remdesivir and Favipiravir medicines for the treatment of Covid-19 patients in the state.
- Puducherry: Chief minister V Narayanasamy and the staff at his residence tested negative for Covid-19. However, the chief minister has been advised seven days home quarantine. Narayanasamy and staff at his residence underwent examination for Covid-19 on Sunday after one of the staff had tested positive a few days ago.
- Karnataka: Revenue minister R Ashoka indicated that more stringent rules are likely to be put in place after July 7 to control the spread of Covid-19 in the city and other parts of the state, amid spike in cases.
- Andhra: The Covid-19 tally in Andhra Pradesh spiraled to 13,891 as 783 fresh cases were added while 11 more deaths took the toll to 180.
- UP: The Covid-19 death toll in Uttar Pradesh increased to 672 after 12 more fatalities were reported. With 685 people testing positive for the novel coronavirus, the total number of Covid-19 cases in the state now stands at 22,828.
- Telangana: A senior minister in Telangana chief minister K Chandrashekhar Rao’s cabinet has tested positive for Covid-19 and is currently undergoing treatment in a private hospital, official sources said. A few days ago his gunman had tested positive for the infection.
- Haryana: Haryana will soon start convalescent plasma therapy for treatment of Covid-19 patients in all its medical colleges, health minister Anil Vij said. Coronavirus cases in Haryana have touched 14,000 with 223 fatalities.
- Kerala: Kerala reported 121 Covid-19 positive cases, with as many as 2057 people undergoing treatment for the infection and the death toll rose to 23 as the sample of a deceased man tested positive.
- Gujarat: Seven new micro-containment zones have been added to the 37 existing ones in Ahmedabad city in Gujarat, taking the total number of people placed under restriction in civic limits to 27,509.
- HP: Himachal Pradesh’s tribal district of Lahaul and Spiti reported its first Covid-19 case after a 25-year-old labourer from Bihar tested positive for the disease. With this, the total number of Covid-19 cases in Himachal Pradesh has risen to 918.
- Tripura: Twelve more people have tested positive for Covid-19 in Tripura. Of the total 1,352 cases in the state, 273 are active while 1,079 people have recovered.
- Bihar: A total of 282 more Covid-19 cases were reported in Bihar, taking the total number of positive cases in the state to 9,506.
- Rajasthan: Rajasthan has reported 121 new Covid-19 positive cases and three deaths, taking the total number of coronavirus cases to 17,392.
- The global death toll from the coronavirus pandemic has topped half a million, as surging cases in Latin America and the United States prompted some authorities to reconsider lifting lockdown measures.
- In another grim milestone, the number of infections recorded worldwide rose to more than 10 million, according to an AFP tally, complicating efforts to ease restrictions on debilitated economies.
- The second hardest-hit country Brazil registered 259,105 infections in the seven days through Sunday — the country’s highest of any week during the pandemic.
- Iran reported 162 more deaths from the novel coronavirus, the highest single-day toll since the country’s outbreak began in February. The previous record daily toll of 158 deaths was reported by health authorities in early April. An additional 2,536 new cases on Monday brought the total to 225,205. The overall official death toll is now at 10,670.
- Five people died from the coronavirus in New York state, the lowest daily death toll the state has reported since March 15. The United States is the worst-hit country with 125,803 deaths from 2,549,069 cases. At least 685,164 people have been declared recovered.
- Nepal’s coronavirus tally crossed the 13,000-mark with the detection of 475 new cases in the last 24 hours. The Covid-19 tally in the country now stands at 13,248.
- Singapore reported 202 new coronavirus cases, pushing the tally to 43,661, as the country is gearing up to reopen tourism-linked businesses in stages during the phase-2 of the Covid-19 ‘circuit breaker’ reopening.
more from times of india news